It’s normal to use your canvas carry bags for everything, from carrying groceries to transporting your beach gear. With such versatility, it is only natural that stains and dirt start to build up because of everyday use.
In this article, the expert team at Albury Enviro Bags offers some key tips on the best ways to keep your large canvas bags clean.
What are Canvas Carry Bags?
Canvas carry bags are one of the most popular choices for shopping bags, promotional bags, or just everyday storage. They offer a great deal of durability and strength thanks to their thick fabric construction and can be easily personalised with logos or other designs. Canvas bags come in a variety of colours and styles, making them a versatile option for all sorts of applications. As such, depending on which canvas tote bag you decide to buy, the best washing process may differ.
Perform Some Initial Preparation with Your Large Canvas Bags
Remove all items
If it’s been a while since you have cleaned your canvas carry bags, then it is likely they have collected an assortment of items – especially with large canvas bags. Before you begin any cleaning, be sure to empty out all items, including the smaller pieces that might cling to the bottom, such as pens and makeup. Leaving these in can cause blotches and discolouration to set in during the cleaning process.
Test for Colour Bleeding
Speaking of discolouration, if your large canvas bags aren’t predominantly white, it may be best to first review how the dyes react to washing before proceeding. Try dipping the bag into some cold water, wringing it out, and then laying it across a white surface. If you notice the dye dripping, then you should only ever spot clean your bag.
Don’t forget to look for stains that may have found their way onto your large canvas bags. Obviously, this will be cleaned when you progress to washing it, but such blemishes might only fade, leaving behind dark patches and discolouration. Instead, take a moment to scrub the more persistent areas before proceeding with the wider clean. Failing to do so can cement their presence on your canvas carry bags well into the future.
To ensure proper stain removal, be sure to:
- Test your stain removal product on a smaller, more discrete area of another bag first. This will confirm it is safe to wash without any unwanted repercussions, such as colour fading and bleeding, or even burnt fabric.
- Once confirmed that your stain removal solution is safe, apply it to the dirty areas of your large canvas bag. Be mindful of the amount you place on one site, as this can also lead to stripping the colour.
- Take a soft sponge or damp cloth and gently dab at the stain to remove it.
Manual Washing for Bags Incompatible with Washing Machines
If you find your canvas carry bags aren’t safe for machine washing, such as those holding embroidery, screen prints, or glued buttons, you will have to gently wash them by hand.
There are a few steps to follow to ensure you don’t damage your bag, including:
- Soak a white cloth in warm water and wring it out to remove excess water
- Carefully press down and wipe the fabric in consistent, circular motions (avoiding the sensitive adornments)
- Mix a couple of drops of detergent in a bowl of warm water
- Place your cloth in the bowl, wring out excess water, and then proceed to scrub the heavy stains
- Once complete, perform a ‘rinse’ of the canvas bag by wiping it down with a warm towel
Should you buy canvas tote bags for sale that is suitable for machine washing, then you can easily throw it in with your next load instead.
Drying Your Large Canvas Carry Bags
Once washed, it is best to never place your canvas tote bags in a dryer – unless you want to buy another one that isn’t shrunken to a fraction of its previous size. Instead, hang your bag in a place receiving plenty of sunlight and a breeze.
Where to Buy Bulk Canvas Bags for Sale in Australia?
If you want to buy the best canvas bags for sale, Albury Enviro Bags offers the largest range in Australia, available to shop by material and style. If you would like more information on our selection, please do not hesitate to contact us today by calling 02 9534 6283.