Most of us know that we should say no to paper and plastic and always use green bags. There is ever-increasing awareness of the environmentally harmful effects of paper and plastic bag production and disposal and a seemingly endless number of good reasons to use reusable green bags. It is simple and inexpensive to use green bags and when you consider that so many take the form of promotional bags offered by businesses seeking to market themselves, having to purchase one can be a rare event!
The environmental and ecological damage that is caused by plastic and paper bags is well known. Pollution, harm and death to sea and land animals, landfills that are filled beyond their capacity, excess oil consumption and deforestation are just some of the environmental impacts of paper and plastic bag production and disposal.
Initiatives to recycle plastics are important and certainly worthwhile. However, there is a fact that limits the take up and ultimate success of recycling – it can cost considerably more to recycle a bag than create a new one.
These problems can be easily and effectively overcome through the use of green bags. Reusable bags are available in an array of shapes and sizes and to cater for all shopping and carrying needs.
So, what are the benefits of green bags?
- Generally speaking, green bags are respected for holding at least twice as many items as plastic bags can. Some suggest that this can be as much as four times the number of items. This means that fewer bags are needed to carry the same amount of groceries or other items.
- More and more often, promotional bags take the form of reusable or green bags. This means that most people find they need to make very little financial outlay (if any at all) to acquire green bags. Even if you do need to pay for reusable bags, they are typically inexpensive and a wise and cost-effective investment in the long run.
- Green bags are made from strong, durable fabric that will not easily tear or rip when heavy items are placed inside. These bags are designed and manufactured to be robust and hardy.
- Green bags have the advantage of soft handles that are kinder on your hands and far more appropriate for carrying heavy loads. We can all relate to the pain of plastic weighed down by heavy items digging and cutting into our hands and fingers. When reusable bags have shoulder straps, it is often easier to carry heavy loads and leave your hands free for everything else you have to do and carry!
- It is possible to keep your green bags clean and hygienic by throwing them in the wash. Most reusable bags are designed to be washed and all are designed to last for many years.
- Given that green bags are an environmentally friendly alternative to plastic and paper bags, many of them are made from Non-woven Polypropylene, recycled cotton, hemp or other environmentally friendly fabrics.
- Green bags are non-toxic, non-allergenic and non-corrosive.
- Green bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fulfil a range of purposes. Some have a flat base that allows the bag to stand up more easily – this can promote ease of packing items into bags.
- Keep an eye out for ‘credit’ and incentives that are offered by some supermarkets and other stores. Increasingly, retailers are offering benefits to entice customers that bring in their own green bags.
- Be pleased and proud that you are doing something good! Some estimates suggest that using just one reusable bag can save up to six plastic bags each week.
While we know that paper and plastic bags are environmentally harmful, it is important to understand why their alternative, green bags, are beneficial and have a reduced environmental impact.