Australia is a land girt by sea, and it’s Australia’s job to make sure that our surrounding bodies of water are kept in the best shape possible. From east coast to west coast and everywhere in-between, Australia is teeming with beautiful wildlife.
Protecting our wildlife is easy; just follow these ten simple tips.
- Avoid using white coloured lights on beaches at night during Sea Turle hatching period. White lights confuse them on their journey to the water, so use a red light instead.
- Use green bags for shopping, and avoid using plastic shopping bags. Plastic shopping bags often find their way into bodies of water, choking oceanic life.
- Re-use plastic water bottles, and recycle the plastic water bottles that aren’t useful.
- Use cosmetics with squalene derived from olives, and avoid cosmetics with shark squalene.
- Reduce your energy consumption, by turning off appliances when they aren’t in use.
- Minimize fertilizer use to reduce fertilizer-runoff, which damages aquatic life.
- Go for a guided scuba journey to enjoy some marine life. This creates an economic incentive to protect marine areas.
- When eating seafood, choose diver-caught or line-caught products. Tuna lovers should go for Ahi instead of Bluefin, and Salmon lovers should go for Alaskan Wild salmon.
- Watch Ted Danson’s The End Of The Line to learn more about the effects of overfishing.
- Sign up for Oceana’s Wavemaker activist program.